Sunday, April 22, 2007

Jolene Newton


I became a Norah Jones fan at a very difficult time in my life. Its was early 2004 and I was at home driving down the road listening to the radio with my kids in the backseat. As I was scrolling through the stations a song was playing, it was about in the middle of it. It was the most beautiful peaceful song I think I had ever heard. Immediately when I got home I called my niece who usually knew about the current music scene. I said hey I heard this song, it was so beautiful and told her the lyrics. She said she knew the song but not the artist. A few days later I was driving in my car again and the DJ came on and announced, up next we have Norah Jones with the song Don”t know why. The tune was familiar to me so I listened and it was the same song! As I listened to this beautiful song, it put me at immense peace, my life at that time was staying at home taking care for 4 young children, two being my sons and the other two being my step-daughter and my step-son. At that time I was attending football practices, baseball practices and numerous others while juggling household chores and my sons who 3 and 8 years old. We had very little money and was living in a very poor neighborhood living from paycheck to paycheck and the worries of will I be able to feed my children tomorrow. Life was so hectic and stressed that when Norah came into my life it was like a breath of fresh air, the feeling of immense relief. Later that year life looked more positive as my husband started making more money and we decided to buy our first house. We moved into a very nice neighborhood only a mile from the hospital where my husband worked. Sometime in that year I was at the store and I saw the Norah Jones cd Come away with me, for sale. Thinking well a lot of cds have one good song and the rest are usually not so good I was hesitant to purchase it but I did anyway. I went home and crossed my fingers and pushed the cd into the cd player and put it on the song, “come away with me” and I was hooked from there. Sometime that fall I was again driving in the car and it was announced that Norah Jones would be in concert soon. I made it a point to purchase those tickets right away. When I went and Norah came out on stage, the crowd went wild with excitement. And I must say she is exceptionally lovely in person and a gorgeous singer also, and a very nice person all around. Now everyone I meet I introduce them to the music of Norah Jones and they always love it. One person that I didn't introduce though would have to be my good friend Saptarshi Chakraborty, and in turn he has introduced me into a world of Norah that I never knew. I must say he is her biggest fan with his Norah Jones community on Orkut, and his Norah Jones website. These sites are extremely impressive with a link to almost every possible Norah song ever made. Saptarshi really does Norah proud in his extensive knowledge of this amazing and talented person, and I am proud to say that he is a very good friend of mine.


Thank you,

Jolene Newton

Oklahoma

U.S.A.

3 comments:

Jan V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan V. said...

I think that this post is one of the most thrilling one I've ever seen...It's so full of sadness and happiness at the same time. I think that this are the things that really matter...Even when the things are not going well and the shadows seem to be closing around us...There'll be always a candle of hope and in the end even darkness were just a passing thing.